Senior Scientist in the Protein Engineering Team - R&D Department
Closing date: 18 December 2016
To apply for the position please submit, in a single MS Word or PDF file:
- Letter of motivation (one A4 page maximum).
- CV highlighting only relevant qualifications and experience.
- Email addresses and daytime phone numbers of at least 3 referees.
Role and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to all stages of engineered-product development including ideation, protein-engineering methodology design, experimental execution, product development and validation. The incumbent will keep abreast of advances in the field, identify commercial opportunities and suggest new product ideas. They will design and carry out high-level proof of concept protein engineering research to explore and validate new product concepts.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- MSc or PhD in relevant subject, such as molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, biotechnology.
- Minimum working experience of five years post-MSc, or two years post-PhD.
- A proven history of innovative research and/or product development.
- In-depth knowledge and practical experience of a broad range of molecular biology techniques.
- Practical experience in protein engineering by design and/or directed evolution.
- Practical experience with NGS and/or PCR-based methodologies.
- Specialist knowledge of other relevant fields such as evolution, molecular diagnostics, forensics, microfluidics or medical research.
- Previous experience supervising and mentoring junior scientists.
The position requires an individual with strong analytical thinking and problem solving abilities. They must be persistent, proactive and inventive. They must be self-motivated and able to work independently, or as part of a team. Other desirable attributes include accountability, well developed communication skills and a strong work ethic.